BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, January 7, 2010

My attempt at frugality

So as I mentioned before, a group of my friends is doing a challenge this month. We are trying to eat out of our pantries without buying much more. The idea is to use up what you already have on hand, which will both save money and cause you to waste less food.


I began this challenge by pulling everything out of my pantry, taking inventory and organizing everything. Then I went online, visited several awesome blogs to get frugal ideas and recipes and made a menu for the entire month. So far, I've tried some awesome recipes and fell in love with several blogs in the process. A few of my favorite new recipes all came from Mommy's Kitchen, a blog started by Tina, who is a mom after my own heart! She is passing her love of cooking down to her kids and in the mean time making GREAT family friendly food! Another great blog to check out is Life as a Mom. You can check out details of the challenge my friends and I are doing there.

An unexpected bonus of printing out a 31 entree menu is that I can show the list to my husband and he can choose what he wants me to make! While I did come up with the menu items, I don't have to make the final decision every single day on my own any more. Ahhh, such sweet relief!

Last night I made my final run to the grocery store for the month (I hope!). So far this month, I have spent less than $200 on groceries for the entire month! Our average grocery bill is about $600 a month, not counting eating out. I really hope to keep this up for the entire year. I know most months I will spend more than $200 because I won't have my pantry stocked like I did this month. But with the help of my friends and a few frugal bloggers, I should have my budget in a healthy place for 2010!

0 comments: