BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Small victories are still victories!

Since I first mentioned the changes I wanted to make in the way I deal with my children, I've seen steady progress. I still find myself losing my temper sometimes and I want to scream so stinking bad, but I really try not to. C1 really seems to want to push me to the limits to see how far he can go. He's only six years old now - I can already see how bad this could get as he gets older. That's one reason I feel so good when he sees that I'm not going to give in. I don't know how many times I've heard C2 tell me he hates me, I'm the meanest mama ever and that I'm meaner than the Devil in the last week. But I always tell him I love him and act as sickening sweet as possible until he's in his bedroom in time out. They seem to HATE it when I act like that. They see that they don't have any control over my emotions and my reactions to them aren't the same as they used to be. That must be frustrating for them - throwing them for a loop. But, and this is a big but (lol), I am seeing some small victories! Now I only have to tell C1 the same thing two or three times instead of ten. No, I'm serious! And C2 is slowing down on the verbal attacks just a bit. They are also getting a long better when they play video games. I'm noticing that they don't raise their voices with me or each other as much. And that's the goal, right? To learn to teach each other with respect and not over react in anger?

0 comments: