BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, March 9, 2009

A New Day

I have a confession to make. I am a screamer. I am embarrassed to even admit that. I try to be kind and patient with my children. I get frustrated and scream at them more than I should. I immediately feel guilty and worry about what I'm doing to them. I worry about C1 because he screams back and me and also yells at his brothers. Am I pushing him away? How badly could this progress if I keep treating him the same? I worry about C2 because he looks absolutely beat down when I've had an outburst. What am I doing?! I finally took the time to think about this habit. That's just it - my screaming has become a habit - a very bad one! I sat C1 and C2 down this morning and had a talk with each of them. First, I apologized for screaming at them in the past and asked for their forgiveness. Then I told them that I don't want to do that anymore, but I will need their help. Boy did that perk up their little faces! From now on I want to go over expectations and consequences on a regular basis. I know I need to say what I mean and mean what I say - no more empty threats or promises. I also really want to focus on the positive. I will point out their good qualities so they have pride in themselves and in the work they do. I want to listen to their stories and jokes. I will play with them more and act silly with them every single day! Screaming is going to be a tough habit to break, but I'm determined! I already feel such relief knowing that I am at least trying my best to be a good mom.

1 comments:

Tanya said...

When I read the first couple sentences about your confession of being a screamer, I literally laughed out loud! I was like oooh lala...:)--

Seriously, though - we ALL get our buttons pressed and overreact to our kids at times, and just the fact that you're aware and trying to be better, that WILL help! You're a GREAT mommy - this job is T-O-U-G-H and we can all do things to improve, but you're doing a wonderful job - don't forget that!