BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Altruism

Altruism - that word has popped up in my life so much lately. I first saw it in an email that came across my computer screen. Then in a magazine article, and finally in my son's school lunch menu of all places. I do believe that God speaks to us in whispers, and I want to listen!

Wikipedia describes altruism as a selfless concern for the welfare of others. It is a traditional virtue in many cultures, and central to many religious traditions. This idea was often described as the Golden Rule of ethics. Altruism is the opposite of selfishness. Altruism focuses on a motivation to help others or a want to do good without reward, while duty focuses on a moral obligation towards a specific individual, a specific organization, or an abstract concept. Pure altruism is giving without regard to reward or the benefits of recognition.

I started wondering - when was the last time I did something for another person without any thought of how it would benefit myself? Sure, I take (really) good care of my husband and kids. Sure, I volunteer at my church. And of course I donate tons of clothes and toys to charity. But do I benefit by those acts? Of course. I get a bit of recognition every Mother's Day from my family. I get "thank yous" at church, and I get a tax deduction and a little less clutter when I donate. I consider myself a good person, someone who likes to help others, but could I do it without any recognition?

I am going to challenge myself for the months of November and December to be an altruist! Every week I want to find a new way to bless another person or group without any recognition or benefit to myself. I may need some ideas, so feel free to post some for me! I will update each week with how I'm doing in my challenge.

2 comments:

ashlee said...

fantastic post...really made me look at this area of my life...

Anonymous said...

You are such an amazing woman. I am proud to have you as my friend =)

~Angel